Contactless energy transfer
In many applications, contactless energy transfer is the best way to supply electric or electronic componants.
This can be use to:
- supply componants that have been introduced in human body
- load batteries contained in waterproof parts
- avoid contacts to improve reliability (avoids contacts in maritim environnemnt)
- avoid contacts in explosive environnement
- supply moving or rotating components
Micro-Beam has developped a low cost contactless energy transfer, based on the cheap MSP430F1101 controller of TI.
Three transformer have been developped:
- A 1.2W transformer with very small secondary parts and cheap componants use to load batteries. Air gap is 1.8mm and efficiency is up to 50%
- A 1.2W transformer using a flexible PCB as secondary instead of coils. Air gap is 2mm and efficiency is up to 50%
- A 50W transformer using directly the net power supply (220V or 110V AC) and coupled with bidirectionnal data transmission up to 115kbps
50W energy transfer, coupled with data communication
Low cost contactless energy transferFor this application, size in secondary and price of the whole contactless energy transfer are very important. It is used to load 4.2V batteries with a current of 300mA. The secondary can be contained in a 15x3x0.8mm box (rectifier not included). The primary is based on a MSP430F1101 controller of TI, which cost 0.49$ for rom version.
This transformer includes the following advantages: